Friday, June 3, 2011

NYC-3- "SISTER ACT" AND MORE FRIENDS

OH HOW TIMES HAVE CHANGED!

Wandered around Midtown today and took in all of the huge changes that have happened to Times Square, since I lived here in the late 80s. Then had lunch with my former roommates Janet and George and laughed about old times. It's amazing to have history with people you've known for 25 years.
SISTER ACT

So I was skeptical and didn't really want to see this show at first. I saw "Sister Act" in an early incarnation in Pasadena and thought it was just "eh". But since my friend Lance was swinging the show, and since I heard great things about it, I gave it another shot. And I am SOOOO glad I did!
Absolutely a great evening of entertainment, great music, hilarious jokes and impeccable performances. This was definitely another "crier" for me. But this time they were tears of joy because it reminded me what the power of musical theatre really can do. So life affirming!

DRAG QUEENS IN THE THEATRE
So during intermission, a very enthusiastic lady from Texas and her husband were having the time of their lives. I asked her what else she had seen and she told me in a heavy Texas accent, "Oh honey! We saw "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" and it was spectacular! Honestly, I think every show on Broadway should have at least one drag queen!"

That was all I needed to hear. So right before the second act started, I got out my iPhone and showed her this:
The woman went to pieces. She turned to her husband, "Honey look! That's him! It's a real live drag queen!" And then the photo session began. She started posing with me as her husband snapped away. Others around us became curious and they all wanted to see the shot of Bindi. "Oh Baby! Here is my number! You MUST text that to me."

So I did. And now some random lady from Texas has Bindi as the wallpaper on her phone.

After the show, I got to meet Lance at the stage door and went onstage of the theatre. There is something spectacular about standing downstage center in a Broadway theatre, especially THE BROADWAY THEATRE! The history just envelops you. And I was amazed by the fact that there really is very little wing space for all the sets. So not like the Hyperion at Disneyland where you can practically land a small plane. Every inch of this theatre is filled with scenery.

I got to meet Victoria Clark (Mother Superior), who in my opinion, will win the Tony! Such a great performance.
And oddly enough...John Stamos was there too. I had seen him periodically when I was on the road with "Happy Days" since he was friends with the director. But never actually met him. When I said to Victoria, "You did an amazing job", John Stamos jumped in and said, "Thank you. Thank you so much." It was a funny moment.
Lance and I took a picture in front of the Disco Mary then I posed for one downstage center. I took a moment to drink it all in. Then I gazed into the empty seats, took a breath and said a quiet little prayer. As I exited the stage door, Victoria Clark was signing autographs...and so was John Stamos even though he wasn't in the show.

We walked down the street to meet George for drinks at "Therapy" a nearby bar. And all I could think about was the great show, how transcended I felt from my everyday life, and the feeling of breathing in the air while standing downstage center of the Broadway Theatre. Someday. Someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment